May 27, 2010

TV Dorkout

I have a love affair with certain TV shows.

When it comes to televised entertainment, I don't really have a type. There's no set formula that makes a show a favorite of mine. I like lots of different kinds.

But...seriously...how much better are your favorite shows on DVD?

I'm not one of those fancy pants people with a DVR. I'm talking about DVD. The disks. The tangible pieces of plastic that you own and keep on a shelf somewhere. That's the ticket. Not some file you have on a computer somewhere. Something that your visitors can peruse like a library of you. (I feel the same way about books.) They're conversation pieces. They're things you feel like you actually own because you can touch them. They don't live in a mystery ghost world of backslashes and code and numbers.

Anyway...I just got Lost season 4 on DVD. That's where I left off and never recovered. I got about halfway through season 4, then life happened and I missed a couple of consecutive episodes. Due to the fact that my job was my only real access to the Internets, it's not like I could watch the missed episodes online. I gave up. I forfeited. I waved the white flag to rabid Lostmania. And I didn't really have to deal with it too much because (for some reason) people weren't really talking about it for a while. It stopped being a major part of my life (I know that seriously sounds like the most losery thing you've ever heard, but if you think that's losery, you haven't been properly acquainted with Lost. There's serious emotional investment involved. Serious, traumatic shit that often feels personal - like it's happening to your family or something.)

But BOY OH BOY have people been talking about it lately. You've probably heard that it was just the big series finale. The last Lost EVAR! So I've had to try to avoid internet spoilers and friends' conversations and everything. So...I got tired of that and decided to pick up where I left off with it.

It's how I've watched the other episodes of Lost. I spend one smelly, greasy weekend sitting on my couch or in bed and doing nothing - no bathing, no chores, not even accepting phone calls...just Losting. It's easy to do. For Season 2, I literally watched the entire season, back-to-back episodes for like 20-something hours - over a full day. You can't stop. Even if you're tired, the show gets you so amped because there's ALWAYS something crazy happening that shocks the hell out of you.

It's ridiculous...I don't know if I'd recommend for anyone who has problems with addiction.

But yeah. I ordered my season 4, and it arrived yesterday (along with my new Sookie Stackhouse book, which I've already started reading). So now I've got some catching up to do. I'll have family in town for Memorial Day week(end), so as soon as the kiddies go to bed...late night Losting. And I won't stop until I catch up. Which reminds me....I'll need to order season 5 very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment