May 23, 2010

Oldies but Goodies

I've recently had the good fortune to be able to see and hang out with many, many old friends that I hadn't seen in a while.

One of my besties from our pubescent phase came into town for a visit, and because of this, we've had many get-togethers and hang out sessions.

It's always interesting to see people you haven't seen in a long while. There's that initial apprehension - how have they changed? Are they still the same person I knew years ago?

When I was younger, my goal in life was to get the hell out of my small hometown and completely change myself. Meet new, interesting and fabulous people. Go to fancy parties. Become this new person who knew a lot of things and had lots of connections and was artsy and cool. Someone who needed a day planner to keep up with all of my grand social functions. Someone who never had to search for people to do things with.

Well, after being away for a little while, I realized there was nothing wrong with me to begin with. I realized most people kinda suck, and that I already had the best and most wonderful friends in my life that anyone could ever wish for. I realized I always avoided fancy shit because I can't stand it. And I realized that I like days that are completely empty so that I can do absolutely nothing but sit on my ass and watch TV. My life was already as fabulous as I needed it to be...and I may have learned a lot of stuff, but I had absolutely no reason to change...and I didn't really want to.

I don't know...does everyone go through that?

Anyway, like I said...it's interesting to see people you were close to long ago. Fortunately, in my experience, it's usually really pleasant and uplifting. I'm lucky enough that most of my old friends have adapted to life in much the same way as I have. We've gained knowledge. We've grown (both metaphorically and literally, as my ass is probably twice the size it was in high school). But, deep down, most of us are still the same people. We've grown separately of each other, but we can still relate. Still laugh at each other's jokes. Still pick up where our conversation left off so many years ago...and that conversation has just as much meaning and understanding as it did then. It seriously gets me sorta misty to think about it (shut up). Of all the things that happen to us in our lives - our real friends can last forever.

This isn't the case with everyone, obviously. Some people I see again, I have a very hard time reconnecting with. I suppose it's either because they've grown too much, or, perhaps more likely, they've stayed the same while everyone else has grown around them.

It's also always hard to say goodbye to old friends. Especially when you're terrible with goodbyes like I am. I used to cry when my sisters would leave after their weekend visits because I just wanted them to stay. I still cry a little inside every time someone has to leave. I'm that sort of person. I don't ever want those good moments to end, but, of course they inevitably have to. We've all got our separate living to do.

And hopefully, when we meet again, we'll have as much fun as we did this time.

Thank you to all of my awesome friends - old ones, new ones, and ones that are always there. I love you guys.


Ok, I know that's sorta sappy, but it's depressing Sunday and I just watched My Sister's Keeper (I know, I know), so give me a break!

And, in honor of my friends...watch my new favorite Youtube video. Joe Cocker says it all.

1 comment:

  1. I had a wonderful time seeing you again. I felt like I had so much more to say, but not enough time to say any of it in! Miss you already..

    ReplyDelete